WYD Tip – Travel Checklist for Rio
Travelling to an international World Youth Day is an exciting adventure. But you also have to remember to be senisble with what you pack. Print off this before you leave and cross the items off as you pack them!
Don’t forget to bring…
- Visa (if applicable)
- Tickets and travel itinerary
- Insurance details (if applicable)
- Emergency contact and banking details
- Money – either in local currency or travellers cheques
- Plenty of summer clothes – t-shirts, shorts, skirts, flip flops – it’s going to be hot!
- Longer pants/skirts and clothing that covers shoulders for sacred places (some sacred Churches have a dress code)
- Clothes that you are willing to get dirty for those long days of walking
- Good walking shoes
- Socks and underwear
- Swimming costume & sandals for the showers at WYD
- Raincoat or umbrella
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, combs, and other toiletries
- Pain killers, band aids, alcohol swabs and other necessary medication
- Something to read while travelling
- Notepad and pen
- Rosary beads and spiritual items that help you pray
- Something patriotic to show where you’re from – flags, nation-themed clothing etc
- World Youth Day back pack if you have already received it!
Other tasks to think about:
- Arrange a way to be contactable while away (i.e. put your phone on global roaming, or purchase a Brazilian SIM card)
- Exchange your money to the local Brazilian currency before you get to the airport in case the exchange counter is closed
- Give a copy of your itinerary to someone at home in case of emergencies
- Check the weather forecast before you leave
- Have fun!!!